Cycling Without Age Anne Arundel (CWAAA) is a new pilot program sponsored by BikeAAA. Program launch is tentatively scheduled for spring/summer 2023. Cycling Without Age is a global organization aimed at reducing social isolation and increasing both mental and physical health for the elderly. It provides companionship by having one or two passengers ride in a specially designed trishaw with one dedicated volunteer (the pilot) whose sole purpose is to create a unique outdoor adventure and friendly conversation. Pilots and passengers can explore the community riding along safe bike paths, visit with neighbors, and stop at local businesses in their community. Passengers return with stories of what they have seen and conversations about where they want to go next.
Cycling Without Age creates positive energy. The most powerful part of this program is participants become visible members of the community; resulting in reduced isolation and improved confidence. Connections like these, vastly improve overall health and well-being.
We are looking for volunteers to provide rides for seniors. Training will be provided.
Pilots should have the following qualifications:
- Comfortable riding a bike & know bike safety protocols or willing to learn!
- Ideally, available for at least two 2-hour blocks of time per month
- Due to electric assist, average physical strength is sufficient for pedaling a trishaw
- Respect, patience, and tolerance towards everyone
- A good listener willing to strike up a conversation
- A good sense of humor, enjoy being outdoors and meeting new people is a plus!
We are also looking for additional volunteers to assist with
- trishaw maintenance
- volunteer scheduling
- media and marketing
Tax deductible financial contributions to purchase a trishaw, support program expenses including trishaw maintenance and additional trishaw purchases can be made at our Donation Page by designating Cycling Without Age or by sending a check payable to BikeAAA Cycling Without Age, P.O. Box 208, Arnold, MD 21012.
For questions or more information about Cycling Without Age Anne Arundel, please email Sandra.email@example.com
These videos give the history and show how Cycling Without Age operates.
Key Facts (as of December 2021):
· Founded in 2012 Copenhagen DK
· Represented in 52 countries
· 2,700 chapters Internationally
· 58 chapters in the US
· Over 2.5 million people served
· 3,700 trishaws operated by 35,000 pilots
· Oldest pilot is 90 (Denmark)
· Oldest passenger is 110 (California)